Solving all kinds of behavior challenges
What is Parent Coaching?
Parent coaching is when parents meet with a professional coach to solve behavior challenges. A certified parenting coach specializes in parenting, child development and challenging behaviors. Certified parent coaches work with all stages of child development. And all behavior challenges.
A certified parent coach teaches parents positive parenting techniques to minimize challenging behaviors. These techniques are rooted in brain science, research and positive psychology.
But parent coaching is not the same as a parent education class. Parent coaching provides individualized solutions, support and parent training. It’s not just knowledge, it is about putting your new knowledge into practice. A certified parent coach stays with you every step of the way to keep you motivated and on track.
The goal of a certified parent coach is to make daily life easier and parenting more effective. Certified parent coaches also help rebuild and strengthen the parent-child relationship. This is done through promoting connection, communication, positive parenting and coping skills.
Parent coaches do not diagnose disorders in children. But, they can provide education about disorders. And how to most effectively parent a child with a disorder. A certified parent coach can also recommend screening if a disorder is suspected. Finally, a certified parent coach can provide parenting and support resources for any parenting need.
Parent coaching is not meant to be a long-term commitment. Certified parent coaches work to teach parents lifelong skills. Almost all parents experience significant changes in 4 - 8 sessions. And studies show parents experience successful results even after parent coaching sessions end*.
CAN CERTIFIED PARENT COACHING HELP MY FAMILY?
While this is not a full list, certified parent coaching can help with the following parenting challenges:
- Anxiety (General Anxiety Disorder (GAD), separation anxiety, selective mutism, etc.)
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) or ASD Level 1 (formerly known as Aspergers)
- Birth Trauma
- Changes in family life (separation, divorce, death, adoption, foster care, new sibling, etc.)
- Childhood Trauma (Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) – emotional abuse, physical abuse, sexual abuse, domestic violence, parental imprisonment, neglect, exposure to depression or alcohol/drug abuse involving a parent or caregiver, historical or generational, etc.)
- Destructive tantrums
- Giftedness or Twice Exceptionalishm (2e)
- General behavior challenges
- Grief or loss (severe illness, death, adoption, foster care, etc.)
- Identity struggles (adoption, bi-ractial, LGBTQ+ , neurodivergence, etc.)
- Learning difficulties or Neurodivergency (ADHD, dyslexia, non-verbal learning disability, etc.)
- Maladapted coping techniques
- Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD), Pathological Demand Avoidance (PDA) or other conduct disorders
- Reactive Attachment Disorder or other attachment disorders/challenges
- When typical parenting techniques don’t work
HOW EFFECTIVE IS PARENT COACHING?
There have been many studies on the effectiveness of parent coaching. These studies have proven parent coaching to be very effective. Parent coaching improves both challenging behaviors in children and parental knowledge and confidence.
WHY DOES PARENT COACHING WORK?
Many of the behaviors we learn are the result of our environment. And our brain continues to change in response to our environment. So if we can change our child's environment we can also change their behaviors. Behavior change is especially effective with children because their brains are so plastic.
Parent coaching works because it uses the parent-child bond that is deeply embedded in the child. Parents and caregivers are viewed as experts in their children. And they are also considered the most important element in their child’s life. Parents and caregivers also have the unique ability of providing daily practice and interventions.
This relationship and opportunity for practice leads to quicker and more impactful results.
Special note: While this parent-child bond can help heal a child and decrease unwanted behaviors faster, there may be times when further help for a child is needed. Or sometimes when a parent needs to do their own healing in order to help their child. A certified parent coach can help guide parents and caregivers to resources for when additional support services are needed.
WHAT DOES PARENT COACHING LOOK LIKE?
Parent Coaching can occur in-person, virtually or over the phone. Ideally, both parents attend parent coaching sessions. In cases where only one parent can attend parent coaching has still been shown to be effective.
During the first parent coaching session, background information will be gathered. The parent coach will ask questions about current struggles and create a plan of action. Next, strategies will be discussed and taught. The parent coach will also explain why a particular strategy is recommended. At all remaining sessions, the parent coach will adjust or build upon parenting strategies based on the child's response.
At Happy Parenting & Families, our certified parent coaching services are based in Present Moment Parenting principles, the Hanen Centre Model, positive psychology and mindfulness. In addition, our certified parent coaching specializes in trauma-informed parenting tools and techniques.
Typically, parent coaching only involves parents, caregivers and/or educators. This is so the parent can remain the authority figure in their child’s life. This is also so the parent or caregiver can freely discuss the challenges they are experiencing.
At Happy Parenting & Families, our certified parent coaching follows this model. But we do understand that there are certain circumstances where a parent may want their child observed. Or request a more interactive coaching session to deal with behaviors in the moment. For those interested in this option, we do provide in-home parent coaching.
- We discuss development, behavior, discipline and self-care.
- We go deep into the specific behaviors you are seeking to change so parenting solutions are tailored to your needs.
- The goal is for you to leave with confidence in your parenting, improved behavior in your child and hope for the future.
- Live 1-hour private coaching sessions (on-line or in person)
- 10-minute check-ins via phone to ensure success
- Evidence based, trauma informed, techniques and tools based in science and research (i.e. positive psychology, attachment theory, brain science and child development)
- Regular text message reminders to keep progress moving forward between sessions
WHAT IS UNIQUE ABOUT HAPPY PARENTING & FAMILIES PARENT COACHING?
Not all parent coaches are certified. At Happy Parenting & Families we provide certified parent coaching services. Our certification means we completed a training program specific to parent coaching. This program included extensive education and practice to ensure high quality coaching.
We are unique because we live the life of a parent that has a child with special needs. So we really do understand the daily challenges as well as the frustration and overwhelm. We get what it feels like when you think you are failing as a parent. And we understand parents who deal with challenging behaviors don't have a lot of support or time. So we structure our parent coaching to be simple, doable steps that deliver big results.
We also pride ourselves in offering support that is unmatched. For our clients, we provide regular check-in calls and text messages to keep parents motivated. We are also available for calls or emails to help when urgent support or solutions are needed.
Check Us Out for free!
At Happy Parenting & Families we believe all parents should have access to parent coaching. We believe that when parents and caregivers receive the right education and support they need, they can help their child heal and thrive. We believe no child is bad and that parents should be taught, not blamed for their child’s behavior. And we believe every parent and child deserves a strong and healthy relationship.
If you are in need of parent coaching, we invite you to schedule a free 30 minute chat with us. Together we can explore if parent coaching is a good fit for you and your family.